Tuesday, October 2, 2007

And he won't even need clean underwear

"We've tried to tailor the budget process to my schedule, such as it is. Because I'm on medical leave from my job until at least Oct. 24, I cannot attend any public meetings before that time (not to mention the chairs in Council chambers would probably discloate [sic] my new hip). So as far as I'm concerned, my public involvement in the budget process is on hold for the best part of October."

"That said, it did seem like you and other council members were trying to force a change in the process without my involvement, and I just had to hold up a red flag as chair of the committee in charge of the process. My approach may not have been most tactful, but at the time tact was a quality difficult for me to muster."

–Councilman Kirkner, writing to Councilman Wagner


Council consists of eight members. It takes five of the eight to conduct business. This system exists precisely so that our local government can continue to function without all Council Members present.

Councilman Kirkner not only clings to the delusion that he is indispensable, he has apparently decided that his personal participation in the budget is the most important objective, even if it means the exclusion of the six Members other than Mr. Messina and himself. And the public, of course, can be disregarded entirely.

The choice about Kinker's participation is, in any event, a false one. Has anyone considered just putting a speakerphone in the Council Chambers and letting Mr. Kirkner participate from home while Council does business in public as usual?

No comments: