Friday, November 14, 2008

2009 Budget Continued

Comments on the recreation budget and some more about the general fund are linked here.

I have heard that some members of the staff and of the council have expressed concern that I have been able to comment on the budget – a ‘privilege’ not afforded the general public.

My response: I have not commented on any material that was not publicly discussed at the November 3, 2008 council meeting. I addressed my letter to the council members, not the general public. I did not make the letter publicly available until I heard of the above-noted ‘concerns.’ Lastly, public comment on the affairs of government is not a privilege, it is a right. Any public official, elected or appointed, who cannot respect that right needs to leave his public position immediately.

No comments: