Thursday, May 29, 2008

Oh council


With apologies to Walt Whitman


Oh Council, my Council, the meeting’s nearly done
Agenda long and tedious, and midnight’s almost come
The end is clear, adjournment near, the video is ending
Members clear out to go on home, it is too late for drinking

But oh town! Town! Town!
Oh precious burg of mine
The new motions that they have passed
Will haunt us for all time

Oh Council, my Council, rise up and do your jobs
Put on a tie and suit jacket and try not to be slobs
For you the public did elect, for government they’re yearning
But you’re not paid a salary, and nought you full are earning

Hear Council, our Council
This town around you sits
While you stay here and legislate
In awful starts and fits

My Council does not answer, it remains pale and still
My Council does not feel my vote, perhaps it never will
The Borough’s headed for the rocks, the Council couldn’t care
The Council presses claptrap, of facts it’s unaware

Arise arise oh public
And call your councilmen
Or else our Borough all too soon
Will sink into the fen

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Richard, Oh, Richard, your points you thus have made
and under the bright blue hulk of a ferris wheel you and I will sit in shade.

In years to come on bright blue benches we'll park our aging a**es
wondering where we'll get the cash to pay for rising taxes.

Phoenixville! Oh, Phoenixville! Our Home!
Your philantrophy with our money has now inspired a poem!
Would that we all could stand in line
for some of that cash which is ours and mine.

I want! I want! A ferris wheel in my backyard
because I know Council funding won't be hard
And, when I que in line for my $5,000, too
I can guarantee MY ferris wheel will NOT be painted blue!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving all of these poems! Unfortunately, I have no such talent, but those who do:

More! More!

Anonymous said...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like "Chicken" is a bit bitter.

Chazzey said...

AND a big Chicken , ,,when you meet in a thing called real life.NOT ON THIS INTERNET CRAP..OPPS THERE MIGHT BE WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN HERE.

Chazzey said...

Sounds like a chicken is REALLY a big chciken!~.........