Friday, July 31, 2009

A Friday quotable

Just a short excerpt from a biographic blog entry by Phoenixville Parking Authority member David Friday on a Temple University blog:

“I serve on the board of administration for the Phoenixville Parking Authority (real f------g fun).”

To see the full entry, go here and scroll down to David F's posting of 6/19/2008.

I am sure that the residents of the Borough will be thrilled to know how much fun you are having in public service and how well you are able to express yourself.

Update: Since the original posting of this blog entry, Mr. Friday has replaced his entry with something even more offensive at the same location.

Mr. Friday's original posting was as follows (emphasis supplied):

I loved my time at Temple University. I think in college you get out what you put into it. I've read some other reviews and I respect their experiences but my honest opinion is that maybe they didn't apply themselves to the experience of college. I mean, some people take things way to serious. And listen, college is a serious time when you should focus in on what you want to do in your future (aka - the rest of your life).

Having said all of that, I don't know about you folks but I have lived a serious number of years (41 to be exact) and I still don't know what the hell I want to do for the rest of my life. I travel in my full time job selling building materials to lumber yards and hardware stores, I serve on the board of administration for the Phoenixville Parking Authority (real f......g fun), and I own a retail store called Hipster Home (as many of you know by now). Oh, and did I mention I have a BS in Exercise Physiology and worked in Cardio/Pulmonary Rehab for 8 years (ugh). So you can definitely see how all the dots connect (NOT). I mean you can't be all over the board any more than I am and I know I am not alone. But currently my main focus is on our store and making it successful.

So what the hell does this have to do with TU. Well, like I said, way to many people take their time in college waaaaaaaay too serious. I think that college is learning about people, friendships, hardships, growth, scholastics (had to throw that in), living with other people, social life, decision making, etc. and then having to prioritize all of that so that you accomplish your goal of getting out with a degree. That is unless your in med school or law school.

But honestly, ask any adult that went to college to study and I bet that most of the folks do not work in the field of their original study. They have probably worked in 3 or 4 different fields and are still seeking more. The final point is that college is about learning about yourself and what you need to do to accomplish any goals you have in life. Whether it be in sales, nursing, physiology, teaching, art, homemaker.... Enjoy your times and don't let those things you can't control take over and control you. Temple taught me all of that and the realization that I am always learning and willing to learn. Do I get graded on this because I still think there is a paper I have that is past due from my English Lit class since '91 (what was that professors name again)?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also have a college education, but I didn't major in English so the only comment I can make is: "What an asshole".

Anonymous said...

As far as the new contents of "David F"'s remarks - I stand by my previous remarks.

Anonymous said...

yea now I guess he'll have to change the name of his place to "Flipster Home"

Anonymous said...

Looks like they didn't teach much grammar in Temple either...

"So what the hell does this have to do with TU. Well, like I said, way to many people take their time in college waaaaaaaay too serious."

That should be "seriously" not "serious".

"That is unless your in med school or law school."

That should be "you're", not "your".

Anonymous said...

And, of course, he wrote "like I said" instead of the correct "as I said".

Anonymous said...

And "to" instead of "too". That could just be a typo, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

The Chicken Cacciatore Project said...

The grammatical corrections do not really advance the substance of the discussion.

'nuff.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he does not like the job, so my question is why is he doing it, and/or what is he gaining from it?